Moderator   •   over 5 years ago

Clarification of Rule 21, please read even if you have already submitted a design

Clarification of Official Rule 21:
21. Designs must not include depictions, names, emblems, logos, trademarks or other intellectual property associated with any specific commercial, private, educational, civic, religious, sports, or other organizations whose membership or ownership is not universal, including any current or former baseball team, either professional or amateur.

As Official Rule 21 rule states, the design restrictions found in the rule apply to any organizations described in the rule—including the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Major League Baseball®, and any past or present sports organizations. By way of examples, your design must not include any reference to the National Baseball Hall of Fame, such as its name as an inscription, images of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum building and grounds, or any other text or symbol associated with the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

***For entrants who have already submitted designs, they may revise their submissions to comply with this rule until the Competition submission period ends no later than May 11, 2013, at noon Eastern Daylight Time.

The purpose for this rule is to uphold the longstanding policy of the United States Government to refrain from implying in any manner that the Government endorses or favors any specific commercial or private organization, unless expressly authorized by Federal statute. Some commemorative coin laws have expressly authorized or required a design that is emblematic of a private organization (e.g., Boy Scouts of America Centennial Commemorative Coin Act, Public Law 110-363, section 4(a)(1); Girl Scouts USA Centennial Commemorative Coin Act, Public Law 111-86, section 4(a)(1)). However, the National Baseball Hall of Fame Commemorative Coin Act, Public Law 112-152, section 4(c)(1), merely specifies that the common obverse for the coins of this program be “emblematic of the game of baseball.”

• 9 comments

•   •   over 5 years ago

Dear Leslie,

Thank you very much for the clarification and for the opportunity to amend our drawings.

Damon

• Moderator   •   over 5 years ago

You are welcome!

•   •   over 5 years ago

I saw your note and did remove "National Baseball Hall of Fame" from within my design. Can you confirm my revised design meets your official requirements? Thank you.

•   •   over 5 years ago

I had asked this early on but your reply isn't there anymore. So basically they changed the rule ("clarified") halfway through. Glad I checked!

• Moderator   •   over 5 years ago

Unfortunately, we cannot confirm whether a design meets or does not meet the official requirements.

•   •   over 5 years ago

I would like to ask a simple question about rule 21, if the design reads 'HALL OF FAME' without the words 'BASEBALL' or 'NATIONAL' does it meet rule requirements?

•   •   over 5 years ago

Since the coin was meant to celebrate the Anniversary of the Hall of Fame, I take it that it's actually a celebration of baseball. Meaning the words "Hall of Fame", the originating date (1939) and the anniversary number (75) should all be removed. The anniversary and establishment dates are senseless without knowing what the date and numbers refer to. If I take these numbers and dates off my design and find that I've misinterpreted the rule update, will I be allowed to redesign the redesign?

•   •   over 5 years ago

An additional note, the two Stephen K's are not the same person. The first question came from my son (35 years old), the second from me (70 years old). Is it possible that I update my name to Steve K?

• Moderator   •   over 5 years ago

First question---I would like to encourage you to read the rules carefully, especially the clarification to rule 21.

Second question---per the legislation the design must emblematic of the game of baseball. Unfortunately, once the competition closes the designs cannot be redesigned for submission. You can still modify up until noon on May 11.

Third question-- I am not sure that you can make an update to your user name. However, I will certainly make a note in the file.

Comments are closed.